Our gear list continues to be filled out as we prepare for Kala Patthar. High on Meena’s list was a sleeping bag to handle the chill we’ll face on our trek. Meena sleeps cold, so we initially started our search for a -40 bag, but backed off that for a couple reasons: first, she has a 15 degree liner, and second we felt the extra weight and bulkiness of a -40 bag would not be needed.
Also, it was difficult to find a reasonably priced bag to fit Meenakshi’s petite frame. We flirted with having one specially made but the cost of such doing so was prohibitive.
So, after about a two month comparative search, we settled on one of our initial choices, the North Face Solar Flare. This -20 down beauty was in our sights early on, but we wanted to do some price and size comparisons. Turns out, the Solar Flare stood up to all out tests.
Here’s some specs:
– 800 Eastern European goose down fill
– Filament, anti-compression pads
– Welded shoulder-level zip pocket
– Down-fill draft collar
– Total Weight: 4 lbs 2 oz (1875 g)
– Fill Weight: 2 lbs 3 oz (981 g)
– Max User Height: 6’0 in. (183 cm)
Click the logo below to join our Facebook page!
- 52 With a View
- Adventures of Buffalo and Tough Cookie
- Bizarre Snacks
- Dangerous Playground Rides
- EMS Blog Posts
- Monday Round Up
- Presentation and Slide Show
- Random Adventures
- Reviews and News
- Signs of the Times
- The Nepal Chronicles
- The Nepal Chronicles – Chapter Sidebars
- Trail Reports
- Trip Reports
- Wedding Plans and Updates
- Wordless Wednesday